Saturday, January 30, 2010

Playing Catch Up

This past thursday was a new semester at Mark Morris. I was very excited to see what students return but I was also anxious because I knew I would be getting new students. I thought a lot about what to do if I got new students in my class of tappers (ages 6-7) who have now have taken tap with me for 3 months. What a challenge! Here is what I did...

1) I paired up the my "new friends" with a tapper who has been in the class. I called them my helpers.

2) We did the class as usual, but I had my helpers teach them how to do the steps. I told them to say the steps out loud first! It works!

3) I went around to each pair and made sure they were on track and offering help to the new friends.

One thing that surprised me: My "old tappers" were saying very encouraging words to their partners! "Great job, you got it!" It made me so proud that they were being supportive of each other.

I think it's really difficult for both the new students and the continuing students. I know I will have to do something else in a few weeks so the continuing students don't get bored. However, I don't want to loose the new students either. I told the new students they have to work really hard to catch up.

I am curious to know what you think about adding kids to a class in the middle of the year? Do you have any tricks you use for catching students up quickly? I have thought a lot about this one, I would love to hear your ideas!

In the meantime movecreateducate...

No comments:

Post a Comment