Sunday, January 17, 2010

Aligning with a Preschool Curriculum


Every week I spend the majority of my days with the preschool age group (my absolute favorite!). This year I have worked hard to align my curriculum for movement with their classroom curriculum. The teachers hang their curriculum outside their classrooms each month and I make sure to read what will be covered and see if I can support any of it in movement. I do research such as scanning the classrooms, looking at bulletin boards, and asking the teachers if there is anything specific they want me to work on. I inspect the library to see what new books are displayed. I have observed their gym classes, and have talked to the music teacher about what he does in his program.

Much of the curriculum at preschool is about taking turns, waiting, following directions, and of course the saying "you get what you get, and you don't get upset." I encourage these whenever I can. One of the classrooms I enter does a color of the month. Every month they pick a color and explore all the things that are that color. I make sure to incorporate this into movement so they get the curriculum from every angle. In addition to stretching, breath, and body parts I introduce a lot of following directions songs, ABC's, numbers, and many movement words. I like to also use books and props! This keeps their attention and exploration fresh.

These are just a few ideas of how I align with curriculum. It takes some research on my part to be aware of what is happening in the classrooms. At this age it's important that they get a well rounded education, but one that fits together well and makes sense.

What about you? Do any of you try to align curriculum with classroom teachers? Add on to a unit they are exploring in another subject or do a project on a topic they have covered? I would love to hear your ideas, even if you work with older kids!

In the meantime movecreateeducate...




No comments:

Post a Comment