Do you ever assess yourself teaching a class? I believe it is just as important as assessing your students. Last night I tapped myself teaching a ballet class to my 3-4 year olds. I came home and watched it back. For the most part, I was happy to see what I look like and sound teaching these girls. Here is what I noticed...
1) I expect them to be good listeners. (they usually are!)
2) I say "are you ready?" and "here we go" way to much.
3) I give the girls a lot of compliments and smiles!
4) I dance and move with them, so important with the littles.
5) They want to be close to me and show me everything. I always respond!
Have you ever assessed yourself teaching? What did you find? Did you change anything after you you watched yourself? I would like to do this again in different types of classes and with different age groups. I think it's a great way to become a better teacher and a simple way to improve the little things that teachers say and do. Try it out... You might surprise yourself!
(photo by Kiasa Carini)