Hula Hoops! What a wonderful prop! Have you ever used them? I usually wait until the second half of the year to bring out the hoops because I need the kids to be great listeners to make it safe and the most fun! Today was the day! They LOVED it! Here are some ideas we did with the hoops for ages 4-6 across the two classes:
1) See how still we can be standing inside the hoop
2) Play DJ- Turn on and off the piano by stepping inside and outside the hoop. (so silly!)
3) Freeze dance- I give them specific words to dance around the hoops and a specific shape to make inside the hoop when the music stops. ex: sneak around the hoops- make a twisted shape inside.
4) Drive the bus! Make it the steering wheel.
5) Look in the mirror- (This is hilarious!)
6) Directions- Stand behind/in front of/on the side
7) Right and Left- Put your left hand in the hoop
8) Simon Says- I let the students say what Simon said, it reminded me of twister!
9) Hokey Pokey
10) Hula Hoop! (of course)
What about you? Do you do anything fun or special with the hoops? Do you turn them into anything fantastic? I would love to hear! The kids already asked me if we could do this again next week! I guess it was a big hit!