Friday, February 5, 2010

Back-up Plan


Do you have a back-up plan? Well I learned the hard way a few days ago when my ipod completely stopped working.(Eeeekkkkk!) It was shuffling and wouldn't play in my speakers. Oh my goodness, what a mess! I got to the preschool and was so sad I couldn't use music for the kids. They of course were so sad too. I assured I would have music next week. They were happy with that. I was going to be out all day and had ballet class later on that day. I went to the apple store where they fixed it, but of course had to wipe out all my music. It's restored now, and all my music is back on.

For my ballet class, I used one of the amazing mom's music whose daughter is in the class. I put together a playlist really quick of the kids music she had. It worked fine, but of course I didn't have the usual music and that made for a different class. A few things I noticed:

1)The kids really love the songs we do every week. Repetition really does work. They know the words and LOVE them. If we don't do them, they can't understand why. I did a lot of singing A cappella. It was so fun! (haha)

2)Without repetition it throws everyone a little bit off. I found they were all a little off, including me! I tried really hard, but I understood.

3) It was good for me to develop something on the spot. I had to come up with some different things, adding to the curriculum in a very short time.

Lesson Learned!! Have a back-up plan! I wonder in this time of technology how it's even possible? Maybe a back-up CD? Then I have to carry around a cd player!?(haha, oh my) What are your back-up plans for your music? What do you do in the last second if something happens to your music and you have to make something up on the spot? I would love to hear!


4 comments:

  1. I keep egg shakers and a tambourine with me at all times! I am notorious for having music issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! Egg shakers would be heavy in my bag though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The speakers in my studio stopped working the other week and I also took the sing it acapella route. The kids loved it so much that when we had music the following week, they asked if we could sing instead! It was endearing. I found it also helps with their musicality so I've worked group singing into my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joanie for the comment! At least I am not alone! That's great you incorporate it into your class now! How old are the kids?

    ReplyDelete