Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Shadow


So today was Groundhogs Day! It snuck up on me this year, but when I woke up this morning I decided to develop a lesson I could do with the littles about shadows. It's hard to show without a sun/light to help but I am pretty sure the students understood what shadow is. They also talked about Groundhogs day in their classrooms so I thought I could support that lesson. I had the 3's stand behind each other and as they moved their shadow moved too. Similar to mirroring but not facing each other. It was a great start to a really fun lesson! I would love to add a book next year and maybe a song? Anyone have ideas to share? Did you do anything to celebrate groundhogs day? I would love to hear!

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea!!! I can see taking a flashlight to make the shadows bigger and smaller as well (the closer they get to the flashlight the bigger the shadow.) I am definately going to use this next year! Thanks for the inspiration.
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stacey! I am still developing the idea but I think it's a great addition to the dance curriculum since they are talking about it in school. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete