Sunday, March 7, 2010

Searching for Stories

This week I got an e-mail from Barnes and Noble with a coupon for children's books. (half off the second one!) So guess what I have been doing today? Looking up amazing stories to use with my preschool creative movement classes. So so fun, but I must say pretty time consuming and a little difficult since you can't see the whole book. Here are a few that caught my eye!


It Looked Like Spilt Milk, by Charles G. Shaw- I kept going back to this book which means I think I need to purchase it! How fun would this be to go through all the pictures and make the shapes of the spilt milk? From the cover alone I can think of about 10 shapes and 5 dances to explore! I am thinking young dancers would love this! Great visuals and clear objectives. I can't wait to try it out!



Saturday Night at the Dinosaur Stomp, by: Carol Diggory Shields- A little over a week ago I wrote a post on a dinosaur dance I did with my preschoolers. While I was searching for books I remembered a few people recommending this book in the past. I am thinking the boys class will love it, and perhaps they can help me with all the tricky dinosaur names that I won't be able to pronounce! Hmmm... I probably won't get this by Tuesday. If it makes it, I will try it out next week and report back!


Do you search for books to use with your students? What are your favorites? I would love to exchange lists!





3 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea. I loved the Spilled Milk one. I don't have much knowledge in terms of Children's Books but I bet Shel Silverstein's book "The Missing Piece" or "The Missing Piece Meets the Big O" would be great in teaching about negative space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorites are Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae. It is a wonderful story about a Girafee finding his own way of moving. Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh which is a fun story about mixing colors and is great for little 2 and 3 year olds. We mix and stir with different body parts and add scarfs to the fun as well. And a great one for body parts is From Head to Toe by Eric Carle. Oh, one more, Quick as a Cricket by Audrey Wood. This one is great for exploration of efforts and opposites. I love sharing books! I am always in need of new ideas and inspirations and I often look to books. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stacey! I use Giraffes Can't Dance and From Head to Toe a lot! I will check out the other ones right away!

    I have a book of Shel Silverstein, I will look to see if those titles are in there!

    Thanks to you both for your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete