Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I love the way...

Recently, I have tried to use the phrase- I love the way... Instead of saying great job, or beautiful or any negative words. This phrase has a great affect on the way the class moves along. If I say "I love the way Ella is turning using her arms and pointing her feet", most of the class will look at Ella and try to use their arms and point their feet(it doesn't work all the time, but most times!). While I am trying to put a positive spin on my classes I try to only use positive reinforcement- omit- don't, can't, won't, and shouldn't. You should try it, I think you will really love the way you sound!

What type of praise do you use in your classes? I would love to hear!


(photo by degas)

3 comments:

  1. I use that phrase all the time! It's great. I also say, "See how Sam's arms look? Let's all be like Sam". Or, "Press save! That's a keeper!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use that phrase too...seems to work most of the time. I have also banned "I can't do it" from the studio and replaced it with"How can I do it?" which is much more positive and encourages the idea that we can learn rather than give up if we can't do something straight away. Love computer imagery too. Sometines we have to press the erase button and then press the enter button when changing parts of dances. Its a fun challenge to keep the class happy and upbeat isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I love the computer imagery! :) I will try this for sure!

    ReplyDelete