Friday, December 18, 2009

3 Tips for Working with a Live Musician


Do any of you teach classes where you work with a live musician? I work with a live pianist every week for my creative movement classes. I have worked out some kinks and thought I would share some tips with you!

1) Build a relationship- First and foremost build a friendly relationship. Since I have worked with the same woman for 3 years now, it is important that I maintain a relationship. I ask her how her weekend went, how her other jobs are going, etc.

2) Exchange Ideas- I always love to hear the ideas she comes up with. Since she is looking at the dance class from the music perspective, I think listening to her feedback and ideas are essential for the class. I love that every week she comes in with new music and not just any music, but music the kids will enjoy and recognize! They really love it, and look forward to it. If she isn't sitting at the piano right at the start of class, they say "where's the music?" It's almost like they refuse to dance until they can hear the music!

3) Teach the kids to Respect- It is important to me to let the kids know that the musician is part of the class. We say "HI" to her at the beginning, tell her what we plan to do for the day, and then of course on our way out we say "Thank you. " I know this is teaching the kids an important lesson, even if they don't see it now. They will remember it down the road, and always remember to thank the musician if any of them move on to be professionals some day.


Do any of you have any ideas or something creative you teach your kids about live music? I find live music really enhances a dance class, I miss it when I don't have for my other classes during the week. If you are lucky enough to have one, make sure you are thankful for them everyday!

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!
In the meantime movecreateeducate...

No comments:

Post a Comment