Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are!



So, my fabulous 4 year olds in creative movement class gave me this great idea. They asked me if they could go to where the wild things are? At first I was like sure we can do that, and then I thought well maybe I could make it into a really great experience for them. I went to the bookstore and got the book yesterday and read through it once with a literacy lens and next with a dance teacher lens. There are a ton of ways to put this book into movement, just a few of my ideas are as follows...

1) "The forest grew and grew and grew"-
What's in the forest? Vines, flowers, leaves...

2) "The ocean tumbled and thrashed"-
waves, and a sailboat shape...

3) "Let the wild rumpus start"-
This part is shown with pictures. I looked at the pictures and came up with action words. One of the pictures is below... what movement words do you see?


Since the movie just came out, I am so excited about turning this story into movement. I would like to find the sheet music for the soundtrack to give to my live pianist. Anyone know where I could begin to look for that?


(Where the Wild Things Are was written by Maurice Sendak)

I hope to have the movement story done by parents day in December! Actually, I have a bunch of parents days coming up. Do any of you have parents days? What are your ideas? I would love to hear!

In the meantime movecreateeducate...


No comments:

Post a Comment