Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cup of Ideas



I have a student who is SO creative he and has the biggest imagination. I love this about him and I am so happy he is in my class and has an outlet to share his ideas. Sometimes he has so many ideas that the other kids in the class (6 more) don't get to share their ideas. He also gets really upset when I don't use his ideas. I hate to discourage him from giving ideas, especially at age 3 when it's so important to listen and execute.

The director of the preschool helped me come up with this idea. 3 popsicle sticks in a cup. Each stick represents an idea. When he gives me one of his ideas, I take a stick out of the cup. It really works! The other kids feel like they have a voice, and there are no tears. Thats a great creative movement class in my book.

What about you? Do you use a creative way to allow your students to share their ideas without getting upset or pushed to the side? I thought I would share this idea in case any of you are facing a similar situation. Please share yours, I would love to hear!

2 comments:

  1. So there is a stick per student or just for him? I know that my kids would each want a stick to represent them! I also run into kids crying when they don't get a turn to show or if they aren't picked to share. I usually have the student who just had a turn select the next student to share and that way it takes it off me and puts it on them (got that one from BB). I also spend a lot of time talking about taking a turns and role playing situations. It is hard but it is also part of their development. I make sure to have an activity where everyone gets a chance to shine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,

    I totally agree with you. This little movement class I have are 3 years old. They love the contents of the class and always want to give their own ideas. This particular little boy gets really upset... like crying and screaming if I don't listen to his ideas and USE them. This worked really well for him. The other kids didn't even pay attention to it or ask about it. Just an idea for what works with different kids.

    thanks for your ideas!

    ReplyDelete