Thursday, April 29, 2010

Purple

Purple, (2nd to pink) the color that 3 year old little girls NEED to have! Yesterday, I taught an important lesson about using different colors. I usually allow the dancers to pick the colors that they want. If I run out of a certain color then they have to pick a color I have. I tell them that sometimes we don't always get the color we want. I find this works for me better than, "you get what you get, and you don't get upset." I always seem to have more upset children with that saying than just picking colors. So, I do it this way.

Yesterday I only had four purple ribbons, and they ALL wanted purple. Usually we can work it out, someone will share their purple and pick another color, but yesterday it was not the case. So we eliminated the purple. Then they wanted pink, the ribbons do not come in pink, so I said "what about red, it's close to pink" (haha) They looked at me like I was crazy!

It all worked out fine in the end, I told them we can still have the same amount of fun no matter what color we dance with. And we did, it was really supper fun! I am pretty sure they will forget about this lesson and want purple all over again next week, but at least I feel like I taught a life lesson with something as simple (big deal for them) as the color purple!

What about you? How do you handle colors? What works best for you? I would love to hear!

3 comments:

  1. I sometimes think the mantra of my school is "I want the pink one"! I have many coloured scarves that we use most classes so I hand them out with my eyes closed so there is luck in what colour they get (I sometimes cheat and let a child have their favourite colour if it is VERY important that day). It is true that it is a life lesson....... that you cant always get what you want. Dance class is full of life lessons isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! Jam packed full! I do the eyes closed thing too! If I have a really big class, and it will take them forever to pick a color. I think that works just as well! Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe I use the "Ya get what ya get and ya don't throw a fit" It works for me pretty well. A few of my moms have said their kids say it at home to the dogs or cats... Like my little 4yr old said it when she was giving her dog a treat. Kids are too much! I usually have an issue with "I want...." when it comes to stickers at the end of class. I do the "put your hand on top of you head" then I put the sticker there so they can't see it till after they have it. I think the surprise factor kills disappointment in not getting the sticker of choice.

    ReplyDelete