Monday, October 19, 2009

3 Tools TO TRY Today!

So now that I have time to focus more on being a dance teacher, I have been thinking about my goals as a teacher and for my students.  Since so many of my students are so young, my goals sound a little like this...

1) Have a structure of the class where the students can be successful

2) Keep them engaged while sitting on their star

3) Listen to their ideas- (they always have the best ideas)



Today in my dance room I will TRY these 3 things...

1) A new activity I have never tried before-
    Sometimes I feel I get in a rut and I fall into "use what works" mode.  I think a lot of the time I do this because what works is what works... (right?)  BUT I also think trying something new and adding to the curriculum is also very fulfilling and part of growing as a teacher. 

2) Be Present-
     This is the hardest for me.  I feel like there are so many things to thinks about when you get the kids in the room.  Keeping them safe, Parents in the window (anyone?), talking.  Today I will try to not think about anything else but teaching the kids in front of me.  I hope this will help behavior and the fun!

3) Smile...Laugh- 
    They have so much more fun when you make a joke or think something is funny.  I feel that this is important for my students to be able to relate to me.  


So these are my goals today... I will report back later.  What will you try today in your dance rooms? 

In the meantime movecreateeducate...


     

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I feel that point 2 will be your most challenging but hey, nothing wrong with being challenged !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas! I will have to try them. I know I sometimes get distracted by those other things and forget to focus on the kids. I will try it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried these all week, and they really work if you focus on them. Sometimes it's hard to do all of them at once, but I am going to work really hard on incorporating them into my teaching style in every class. Let me know how it works for you!

    @Elise, you were right- the 2nd one was the most challenging!

    ReplyDelete